You might have heard of the news where the silly things like a Christmas tree resulted into wild residential fire havocs. Penn live dot com recently released a study where it claimed that one an average 15,000 injuries were treated in the emergency ward as result of ill-planned holiday decorating. When it comes to a house kitchen, it is vulnerable to many ill happenings. You have been bringing meats, igniting a fire, storing a cylinder full of gas and what, not more. You can avoid a lot of them by being vigilant and actively participating in the act of dos and don’ts. Here is the list of things you can check for in the kitchen:
- The Unattended Heating Vessels:
Leaving a heated vessel to answer the door or your phone calls is one of the most dangerous scenarios when it comes to household wreckages. The mustard oil on pan catches fire if it gets heated more than it requires. A malfunctioning pressure cooker can blast like a bomb in the kitchen. High-flamed vegetables or meats can cause to a lot more than we think hence holding a spoon or a pot holder while leaving the kitchen can be helpful to avoid such conditions. Your kitchen stove won’t slip from your mind.
- Refrigerator Habits:
Poor refrigerator habits are been referred to as the way of storing foods. Considering the lack of time or exhausting day leads to such activities but it’s not just storing but you might be inviting a lot more than it.
- Improper stacking of food in the refrigerator leads to blockages of the air vent or the proper air flow and thus leads to selective freezing of articles.
- In such cases there are good chances of the food articles close the vent may get a freeze but those who sit last in the queue might not receive the same temperature resulting in decomposing.
- A single food item if gets decomposed, the bacterial or fungal reproduction cannot be stopped by the lid covers and thus cause contamination.
- A single food item can lead to many allergies or stomach diseases.
In one of the publications, The USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service have suggested placing raw meats, seafood, and poultry in sealed containers or plastic bags to prevent their juices from contamination. One of the best places to store meat is the lowest shelves.
- Grease Fire:
It might be nothing to be alarming for the grease sticking under your hood, but be aware of it as it has the potential to ignite more fire. You must keep cleaning the chimney filters as per the user’s manual and keep a check over the hood to avoid such circumstances.
- Radon Gas:
Radon is a radioactive gas found in rocky soil that leads to lung cancer. Radon is often found in water and people relying on wells or underground water supplies are into more risk. The gas is not detectable by sight, smell or taste so it is suggested to check for it at home. Hardware store sells an inexpensive kit so you can check the radon levels at home.
- Dirty Sponges:
Sponges can also become lethal in terms of bacteria around the kitchen. A study by Carlos Enriquez at the University of Arizona found 15 of 100 sponges contaminated after wash. Microwaving sponges can sterilize it, but be sure it stays wet or would catch fire.
Be aware of electrical circuits, leaking tap joints to grow fungus and keep a fire extinguisher capable to tackle Class A, B and C type of fire. There is no harm in taking precaution to later cry over the avoidable mishap.